Whether you are moving to assisted living, a retirement community or another house, staying organized is the key to a stress-free move. This checklist contains suggestions and tips to make your move as simple as possible. These are the type of services a Senior Move Manager (SMM) can assist with if you decide that you would like help.
Pick a move date. This is very important as you will need to make reservations based on this date.
One month before your move:
- Finalize your selection of a moving company if you are going that route. Confirm the date, the price and other moving details. Be sure to get all the moving costs in writing.
- If you are not using a moving company, reserve a rental truck. Be sure you will have someone that can drive it & people to load it.
- If you are using a SMM be sure to confirm that all the arrangements have been made & that move dates are on track.
- Reconfirm with friends & relative who have offered help & find out what kind of help they are offering. Make sure you have a specific date and time for them.
- If you are moving out of the area obtain all your medical records & pack them in a safe location.
- If you plan to sell any of your furnishings have antiques, art & other valuables appraised. Decide how they are to be disposed of.
- Begin sorting items that will go to relatives, charities, an estate or moving sale or Craig’s list. Have a plan to dispose of “stuff” that is no longer useful.
- You can begin packing things that that won’t be needed until after arrival at the new residence.
- Collections and family memorabilia that will be going to family members, friends etc should be photographed for your album or photo disc.
- You can begin making arrangements for gifted items to be shipped or picked up by the new owners.
- Cancel or transfer magazine and newspaper subscriptions
- Make a list of relatives, friends and other people you want to inform about your move and give them your new contact information.
- Contact your bank to make arrangements for transferring accounts, if necessary and order new checks with your new address.
- Call your utility service companies for your cable, gas, water, internet, telephone, etc to schedule a disconnection date for your old house and connection date for your new home if needed. Don’t underestimate the amount of time required ahead of time for appointments to get these services into your new residence.
Two weeks before your move:
- Contact the moving company or truck rental company and reconfirm.
- Check again with your family & friend “helpers” if you have any doubts that they may have forgotten the dates.
- Continue packing. Make sure to label each box and keep an inventory.
- Plan to have your moving sale during this period of time. Price items & arrange in a convenient location. Prepare bright readable signs & place ads on Craig’s list or newspapers .Make sure you have adequate help for this. It is a lot of work.
- Make sure all items to be donated or disposed of are taken care of.
- Notify the Post office of your new address.
- Make arrangements with a cleaning service to clean your old house, if necessary once you leave.
- Finish packing. If you are not doing it yourself let the SMM or others pack your belongings. Make sure the room location is noted on the box. Also number your boxes and create an inventory of items included in that box. This can be helpful if not all boxes are to be unpacked immediately.
- Pack a travel kit .Put aside all needed medications, personal items, ID, checkbook and credit cards etc. that you will need.
- Pack a suitcase with clothing and other personal items.
- Fill any prescriptions or medications, if necessary.
- Plan meals for the whole week so you can start emptying your refrigerator.
- Pack a box marked “LOAD LAST” with items that will be needed first at the new location.
The day before your move:
Start early to avoid confusion rushing and stress.
- Finish final packing and labeling the boxes.
- Locate your suitcase & make sure you haven’t forgotten anything that you will need during the move.
- Check all cabinets, drawers, and closets to make sure you packed everything.
- Set aside boxes, tape, scissors, rope, markers, etc for last minute packing.
- Do not make any plans for the day. Chances are you will be home the entire time to supervise the move. If you have a SMM then take the day off and relax. Go visit with a friend.
- If you don’t have a SMM then be sure that the truck that shows up belongs to the moving company you chose and that you have their cell number and they have yours.
- Verify the delivery address, delivery date and directions are correct.
- Carry all valuable items yourself like important documents, jewelries, etc.
- Before leaving the house, make sure to check the entire house to make sure you don't forget anything.
- Turn off all appliances before you leave.
- Notify family or close friend of our itinerary for emergency purposes.
- Once the house is completely vacated then arrange for the house cleaners to come to complete the cleaning.
- When your items arrive at the new location, check the items very carefully. . Note on the inventory paperwork of any visible damage. Make sure that they place each box in the correct room.
- Unpack the bathroom and bedroom items first. If you have a SMM then she will know where all the furnishings and contents of boxes are to go. She will oversee unpacking, art hanging, closet organizing etc. for you.
- Time to meet the neighbors and start enjoying your new home.